Updating Student Information

By keeping your personal information up-to-date you ensure that Delta College is able to communicate with you about your academic record, financial matters and graduation.

Name change

To have your name officially changed, you will need to complete and submit a name change form (PDF) to the Registrar's Office with appropriate documentation. If you are changing your name and would like your Delta College username changed as well, make sure to check the change username box on the name change form as it does not change automatically.

Delta College recognizes that as a community its members use names other than their legal names to identify themselves. As long as the use of a different name is not for the purposes of misrepresentation, the college agrees that a student may choose to identify themselves within the college's information systems with a preferred first name (PDF) in addition to their legal name. This preferred first name may be used in appropriate college processes and communications except where the use of the legal name is required for college business or legal need.

Step 1: Complete the preferred name form (PDF).

Step 2: Submit the form in person to the Registrar's Office in D102 at Delta's main campus.

Step 3: Present photo identification.

Yes, but the college reserves the right to deny or remove a preferred name if it is used intentionally for misrepresentation, or is deemed inappropriate.

No. Your legal name will continue to be used in business processes that require use of the legal name.

    • class rosters
    • class lists
    • eLearning
    • email and username
    • name badge (turn in old, get new free)
    • student accounts
    • financial aid
    • tax forms
    • responses to enrollment inquiries such as verification
    • official transcripts
    • US postal mail

Address changes

Address change forms (PDF) are accepted in-person or via your Delta email if you send the form to registration@delta.edu. If your address change also means you are moving in or out of the Delta College district (Bay, Midland, Saginaw), you should complete a residency change form. Residency will not updated based on an address change form.  

Residency requirements

Educational costs at Delta College are shared by the students, the taxpayers in the Delta College District and the State of Michigan. Property taxes paid by residents of the Delta College District supplement student tuition and state aid for in-district status students; therefore, the tuition charged legal residents of the Delta College District are the lowest and students classified as out-of-state are charged the highest tuition. A student’s residency classification is established when admitted to Delta College and may only be changed under certain circumstances.

1. A person will pay course tuition and fees according to one of the following classifications of legal residence:

      • In-district status: legal resident of Bay, Midland or Saginaw counties.
      • Out-of-district status: legal resident of Michigan, but not of the above three counties.
      • Out-of-state status: international students (including Au Pairs) and all others not classified within those above.

A legal resident is one whose permanent, primary residence is where the student intends to return whenever absent from college. A dormitory is not considered a permanent primary residence.

2. For tuition purposes, an in-district student is an American citizen or permanent resident who can provide legal proof of residence within Bay, Midland or Saginaw counties for at least three consecutive months immediately preceding the first day of the semester in which the person plans to enroll. Exceptions considered are:

      • The legal residence of a student under age 18 is that of the parent or legal guardian regardless of where the student may have been living for the previous three months.
      • The student marries an individual who qualifies as an in-district resident of the Delta College district.
      • The person is an employee of a business or industrial firm within the Delta College District and the employer, by written agreement, agrees to pay directly to the College all tuition and/or fees of the sponsored student for employer-approved classes. If the employer is not directly paying the College for the student’s tuition/fees bill, the student will be assessed the appropriate out-of-district or out-of-state tuition rate.
      • In-district students whose families/spouses move out of the Delta College district during the time they are enrolled may retain their residency status as long as they maintain continuous enrollment. Student must complete petition to remain in-district each semester.
      • A permanent alien who has filed the declaration of intention to become a U. S. citizen and who can provide proof of Delta College District residency for the previous three consecutive months may petition for in-district status.

3. All students are subject to a check of their residency status at registration. Students furnishing false information will be subject to disciplinary action. The following examples are types of documents which are considered in determining proof of in-district residency:

      • a current/valid Michigan driver’s license or Michigan Secretary of State ID card is required
      • a property tax receipt from Bay, Midland or Saginaw counties
      • a current voter registration card indicating an in-district address
      • other legal documents such as court-issued guardianship papers, etc.  
      • must indicate proof of residence for at least three consecutive months immediately prior to the first day of the semester in which the student plans to enroll

4. While attending Delta College, students may petition the Registrar to change their residency classification. Residency status change (PDF) forms are available from the Registrar’s Office and must be submitted, with proof of in-district residence by the end of the refund period for the term status change is being petitioned. Guest students from other colleges, and international students on a student, working or visitor’s visa should not expect to have their residency status changed while attending Delta College, as the definition of legal residence has not been met.

5. Any adjustments made in tuition and fees due to a change in residency status shall not be retroactive nor changed past the refund period for the term being petitioned.

6. Additional residency information:

    • Military personnel and covered individuals: any individual using educational assistance under Chapter 30 (Montgomery GI Bill® – Active Duty Program), Chapter 31 (Vocational Rehabilitation), Chapter 33 (Post-9/11 GI Bill®, of Title 38, United States Code, the Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship (38 U.S.C. § 3311(b)(9))  or Chapter 35 (Dependents Educational Assistance Program) or Chapter 1606 (Montgomery GI Bill Selective Service Reserve) who lives in the State of Michigan while attending Delta College be charged the in-district tuition rate regardless of their formal state of residence.
    • Any individual using veteran educational benefits possessing a Department of Veteran Affairs Certificate of Eligibility or a VA Form 28-1905 (Chapter 31) will receive Delta College in-district residency classification.

Contact us
Make an appointment with student services departments.

1961 Delta Road
University Center, MI 48710