Import, Export & Copy Course Content
You can copy all or part of a course into another D2L course using the Import/Export/Copy Components tool. Copying course components enables you to reuse your materials from a previous term, or if you are teaching two sections of the same course in the same term, you can build your course site in one section, then simply copy it into the other section
To copy course materials from one course to another, you must be listed as an instructor in both courses.
- Go to the course you want to copy course components into. You must start in the destination course.
- Click the Edit Course on the navigation bar, then select Import/Export/Copy Components . The Import/Export/Copy Components page will open.
- Select Copy Components from Another Org Unit. Usually this option is selected by default.
- Click the Search for offering button. The Select Course Offering window will open.
- Find the course you want to copy components from. You can either search for a specific course by entering its code and clicking the magnifying glass icon, or just click the magnifying glass icon to see a list of all of your courses. The list will appear in the lower part of the window.
- Select the course you want to copy from the list.
- Click the Add Selected button at the bottom of the window. The window will close, and the course’s name will appear under the “Course to copy” heading.
- Make sure the Include protected resources checkbox is selected. Usually this box is selected by default.
- Click the Copy All Components button at the bottom of the page. The course copy will begin processing. When it is complete, a green check mark will appear.
- When it is complete, a summary page will be displayed.
- Click View Content when you are done copying course components. You will be taken to the course’s Content area OR you can select Review and Manage Dates to update course dates for assignments, discussion boards, quizzes and content.
- Complete steps 1–7 above.
- Click Select Components. A list of components available to copy will appear.
- Select the components you want to copy.
- If you want to select all of the items within a component, select Copy all items, make sure the Include associated files checkbox is selected, then click Continue.
- If you want to select some of the items within the component, select Select individual items to copy, make sure the Include associated files checkbox is selected, then click Continue. A new page will open that lists all items within the components you selected. Select the individual items within each component that you want to copy, then click Continue.
- If you would like to update dates automatically, you can select the Offset all dates of copied components box and choose how you would like the dates updated:
- Offset by direction and range: enter the number of days and hours to move the due dates forward or backward
- Calculate range between two dates: enter the start date form the previous quarter and the start date of the new quarter, which will translate the new dates onto the new term
- Click Finish. The copy process will begin. When it is complete, a summary page will be displayed.
- Click View Content when you are done copying course components. You will be taken to the course’s Content area OR if you didn’t update your dates, you can select Review and Manage Dates to update them now.
If you accidentally copied the wrong course, you can reset it to the original form. Resetting a course permanently deletes the selected components. Any content, activities, grades etc. deleted using this process cannot be restored.
- On the navbar of the course you want to reset, click Edit Course.
- Under Administration, click Course Reset.
- Use the check boxes to choose components to permanently delete:
- Delete course content, activities, associated files, user grades, user progress, and interaction data
- Delete group enrollments and group categories (optional)
- Delete course homepages, navbars, and widgets (optional)
- Click Reset.
- Confirm the course reset by entering the course’s code in the text field and then click Delete.
Note: While the course reset is in progress navigating away from the page does not cancel the process.