Educational Benefits & Eligibility

Delta College has one of the largest veteran student populations in the area and wants you to take advantage of your veteran's benefits. The college has an extensive history of serving veterans and their dependents. 

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at


There are several benefits that you or your dependents may be eligible to take advantage of. Check to make sure you meet all eligibility requirements. To compare Chapter benefits, use the GI Bill® Comparison Tool.

Active Duty Montgomery GI Bill® - Chapter 30
At least two years on active duty and contributed $1,200 to your GI Bill® fund and were honorably discharged. You may also be eligible for a GI Bill® Kicker.

Veteran Readiness and Employment (VR&E) - Chapter 31
Also known as the VetSuccess program. Assists Veterans with service-connected disabilities to prepare for, find and keep suitable jobs. For Veterans with service-connected disabilities so severe that they cannot immediately consider work, VetSuccess offers services to improve their ability to live as independently as possible. Veterans are eligible if they: 1) Have received, or will receive, a discharge that is other than dishonorable; 2) Have a service-connected disability rating of at least 10%, or a memorandum rating of 20% or more from the Department of Veteran Affairs (VA); 3) Apply for Veteran Readiness and Employment (VR&E) VetSuccess services.

Post 9/11 GI Bill® - Chapter 33
At least 90 days of aggregate service on or after September 11, 2001, or be discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days. You must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill®. The Post-9/11 GI Bill® became effective for training on or after August 1, 2009.

Read some FAQs about Monthly Enrollment Verification (PDF).

If you are currently receiving benefits under Chapter 30 or 1606 and you apply on VONAPP, you are required to make a decision that is irrevocable (cannot be changed) to give up one of the other programs you are eligible for. However, if you completely exhaust your entitlement under your current chapter before the effective date of your Chapter 33 election, you may receive up to 12 additional months of benefits under Chapter 33. Choose your effective date for Chapter 33 carefully. Let the Delta Veteran Services Office know that you submitted an application on VONAPP.

Survivors' or Dependents' Educational Benefits
Child (18-26 years) or spouse of a veteran determined to be 100% disabled or deceased due to military related injuries.

Reservists/National Guard - Chapter 1606  
You must have a six-year obligation to serve in the Reserves or Guard and be currently in good standing with your unit. You may also be eligible for a GI Bill® Kicker.


Applying for GI Bill® benefits

Fill out an online application using VONAPP (Veteran Online Application). Approximately 6–8 weeks after you apply for benefits, the VA will send a certificate of eligibility (COE) to you; bring it into the Veteran Services Office at Delta. 

Chapter 35 - DEA students (dependents/spouses) who are applying for benefits should use the 22-1990e to apply for transfer of eligibility (TOE) and the 22-5490 to apply for Chapter 35 benefits. Once the COE is received, bring this to the Veteran Services Office at Delta.
For questions about the status of your application or payments, call the VA at 800-442-4551.

In addition, submit to Delta’s Veteran Services Office a VA Educational Benefits Certification Request (PDF) form to request VA certification.

Transfer students

If you've been receiving GI Bill® benefits and you're changing schools, complete the Change of Place of Training form (22-1995 for chapters 30, 31, 33 or 1606) or (22-5495 for dependents or spouses of Chapter 35). Download the form from the link above or stop by Veteran Services in B100. Give the completed form to the Veteran Services Office. In addition, submit to Delta’s Veteran Services Office a VA Educational Benefits Certification Request (PDF) form to request VA certification.

Guest students

If you are attending Delta as a guest student and are requesting VA certification, your home school must submit and send to the Veteran Services Office a parent institution letter stating that the courses you are taking at Delta College will satisfy the degree requirements at your home school. In addition, complete the Delta College VA Educational Benefits Certification Request (PDF) form each semester and submit to Delta’s Veteran Services Office to request VA certification. If you are a Delta College student attending another college, please see the Veteran Services Office for a parent letter.

Credit hour equivalence 

Short course training time (Chapters 30, 35 and 1606)
The VA pays education benefits for enrollment periods less than 15 weeks long based on credit equivalents. Delta Must report to the VA the credits and actual start and end dates of short courses; VA makes the conversion to the equivalent training time.

Contact us
Make an appointment with student services departments.

1961 Delta Road
University Center, MI 48710