Board Policy 5.001
Pursuant to MCL 389.124, the Board delegates to the College President the authority to oversee and manage the day-to-day operations of the College. Specific authority delegated the College President pursuant to statute includes:
- The authority to select and employ all personnel of Delta College.
- The authority to pay claims and demands issued to Delta College.
- The authority to purchase, lease, or otherwise acquire personal property on behalf of Delta College and in accordance with its bylaws.
- The authority to invest Delta College funds consistent with applicable law.
- The authority to accept contributions, capital grants, gifts, donations, services, or other financial assistance from any publicr private entity, other than real property, subject to the terms and conditions set by the Board of Trustees.
- Under the Freedom of Information Act, the College President possesses authority to delegate another individual to act as FOIA coordinator in accepting and processing FOIA requests and in approving a denial under Section 5(4) and (5) of FOIA.
The College President shall also have all necessary authority to perform any other duties as the Board of Trustees may determine in accordance with law.
General duties assigned to the College President, include, but are in no way limited to:
- Recommend the creation, modification, or elimination of schools, departments, courses of study, and/or other educational programs in order to best effectuate the mission of Delta College.
- Act as chief spokesperson for Delta College.
- Receive and respond to appeals made under the Freedom of Information Act.
- Recommend the purchase, lease, or sale of, or improvement to, any real property necessary to carry out the functions of Delta College.
- Recommend the provision of financing or issuance of such bonds as may be necessary and appropriate to further Delta College’s lawful prerogatives.
- Recommend the tuition and fees for resident and nonresident students.
- Recommend energy conservation or other operational improvements be made to Delta College facilities or infrastructure.
- Advise the Board of Trustees on any other matter which in the College President’s judgment is necessary for the proper establishment, maintenance, continuous improvement, management and carrying on of Delta College.
The Board of Trustees will evaluate the President on an annual basis with progress reports during each year if requested by the Board of Trustees.
Board Action 5378 – April 6, 2021