March 23, 2020
Several ceremonies and large events that were originally planned in the coming months will be postponed, including commencement.
Dr. Jean Goodnow, president of Delta College, said the decision was necessary for the health and safety of the Delta community, which includes students and their families. Delta College is taking direction from state and federal government and its recommendations to limit gatherings to fewer than 10 people.
“Of all the decisions in the past few days, this was particularly difficult because it’s very important to us to celebrate our students’ hard work, dedication and accomplishments,” said Goodnow, adding that celebrations will occur at a later date and details will be provided when plans are established.
The postponed events are listed below with original dates.
- OADN Nursing Honor Society Induction Ceremony – March 20
- Fine Arts Student Reception – March 27
- President’s Champions for Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Luncheon – April 3
- Presidential Honors Scholars Banquet – April 8
- Annual English Student Celebration – April 8
- Delta’s Honors Ceremony – April 9
- Phi Theta Kappa Induction Ceremony – April 9
- Girls’ Day Out – April 17
- Nursing Pinning Ceremony – April 21
- Multicultural Graduation Reception – April 23
- Employee Awards Banquet – April 24
- Dental Hygiene Pinning Ceremony – April 25
- Graduate Student Awards Ceremony – April 28
- Radiography Pinning Ceremony – April 28
- Delta College Commencement – May 1
- Diagnostic Sonography Pinning Ceremony – May 1
- PTA Pinning Ceremony – May 1
- Police Academy Graduation Ceremony – May 2
- Athletics Banquet – May 18
The postponed commencement ceremony does not affect the ability of students to complete graduation requirements and receive their degrees. Each student who completes their degree requirements will receive their degree based on the month requested on their graduation application. Student resources, support and frequently asked questions are available on Delta’s coronavirus page.
On March 16, Delta College suspended labs and closed buildings due to an emergency order by Gov. Whitmer. The college transitioned classes to distance/online delivery that began March 18 and will continue through April 13.
For more information, visit delta.edu/coronavirus.
Written by Leah Twilley, Communications Specialist.