April 27, 2019
Delta College held its 58th commencement ceremony on Friday, April 26 in the Pioneer Gymnasium on its main campus. About 250 of the 1,200 graduates from the past year attended.
Each year, two graduates are selected to speak at commencement. This year's presenters were Jessica L. Fraley, Midland, and Joseph (Joe) A. Thornton, Saginaw.
Jessica earned an Associate in General Studies degree with highest honors and plans to pursue a bachelor’s degree in social work at Saginaw Valley State University.
Joe earned an Associate in General Studies degree and graduated with high honors. Joe was also named a recipient of the prestigious Undergraduate Transfer Scholarship from the Jack Kent Cooke Foundation, making him one of 61 high-achieving community college students who will receive up to $40,000 annually while completing his bachelor's degree. Thornton plans to attend the University of Michigan to study economics.
The ceremony will air on Delta College Quality Public Broadcasting on the following dates and times:
- Sunday, April 28, 1pm - Q-TV - Channel 19.1
- Friday, May 3, 7pm - Q-TV 19.2 MHz Worldview
- Saturday, May 18, 3pm - Q-TV 19.2 MHz Worldview
- Wednesday, May 22, 6pm - Q-TV 19.2 MHz Worldview
- Monday, May 27, 7pm - Q-TV 19.2 MHz Worldview
Celebrating Two Achievements
Each semester about 800 high school students also take Delta College courses. The following students earned a certificate or associate’s degree from Delta College concurrently with a high school diploma. For more information about Delta College dual enrollment visit delta.edu/dual.
- Grayson Argyle, Omni Alternative (Carrolton)
- Alec Boyer, Meridian Early College High School
- Leah Butcher, Merrill High School (Early College Program)
- Tristen Campbell, Akron-Fairgrove High School
- Riley Hopkins, Meridian Early College High School
- Chelsie Jensen, Meridian Early College High School
- Camryn McKellar, Meridian Early College High School
- Hunter McLaughlin, Meridian Early College High School
- Peter Roose, Life Tech Academy (Lansing)
- Alexandra Searfoss, Bullock Creek High School (Early College Program)
- Nicole Seiler, Bullock Creek High School (Early College Program)
- Kelly Winters, GLBEC via Windover Charter School (Midland)
Delta College is one of the nation’s leading community colleges, known for graduates who make a difference in our communities. In fact, 97 percent of graduates in the last five years live in Michigan, and 83 percent reside in Delta’s service area – Bay, Saginaw and Midland counties. For more information about Delta College visit delta.edu.
Congratulations to all of this year's graduates!