Gas Metal Arc WeldingWELD 235W
Discusses general safety, Gas Metal Arc Welding (GMAW) safety, welding terms and definitions, electrode and gas selection, nominal pipe size and thickness standards, and welding joints. Includes laboratory exercises in starting an arc, running beads, pad welding, and groove welds on plate and pipe in fixed positions. (60-60)
Outcomes and Objectives
Understand the theory of Gas Metal Arc Welding (GMAW).
- Realize the significance of this welding process in manufacturing and industry.
- Identify the primary considerations in the use of this welding process.
- Discuss relationships with other welding processes.
Demonstrate appropriate safety practices and procedures.
- Realize the value of the use of safety equipment.
- Identify proper protective equipment.
- Apply safety procedures in all laboratory activities.
Demonstrate appropriate equipment operation.
- Realize the importance of proper equipment set-up.
- Apply proper procedures when setting up equipment.
Develop, read, and follow a welding specification/procedure document.
- Realize the importance of following the procedure.
- Define and explain appropriate welding terms.
- Apply the procedure when making a specific weld.
Demonstrate proper techniques to complete a 2G-5G weld on carbon steel 2" schedule #80 pipe.
- Realize the value of proper body positioning, and tacking.
- Apply tack welds, root passes, filler passes, and cover passes in accordance with AWS D1.1 standards.