Sustainable Building PrinciplesTTI 110
Discusses sustainable (green) building concepts including rating systems such as LEED for Homes and NAHB Model GREEN Home Building. Follows green building from design and site selection to the finishes used, with special emphasis on current case studies, the economics of green building, benefits and barriers, and sources of information. (30-0)
Outcomes and Objectives
Integrate concepts of high performance green buildings and sustainability into daily living.
- Demonstrate confidence using industry-appropriate terminology.
- Explain what makes a building "green."
- Discern the proper selection of green building materials.
- Explain the benefits and costs of green building.
Discover green building features including sustainable site aspects, energy and water efficiency, indoor air quality, day-lighting, and "green" materials.
- Distinguish the difference in the selection of mechanical and electrical systems.
- Assess indoor environmental quality factors.
- Analyze green building water supply and waste water strategies.
- Explain the concepts of sustainable landscapes.
- Explore means to reduce the ecological footprint of construction operations.
Research green building resources and information.
- Analyze industry standards and information sources.
- Identify and utilize aspects of common green building rating systems.