Industrial PipingSKPT 101
Basic sanitation principles, terminology, materials classification, drainage systems, waste disposal system, pipe sizing and layout. Industrial piping situations involving gasoline, acid plating solutions, gases, safety, code requirements. (60)
Outcomes and Objectives
Understand plumbing symbols and associated piping configurations.
- Study and demonstrate plumbing vocabulary.
- Use some mathematics to solve piping sizes and configurations.
- Identify safe practices regarding piping systems and their relationship to plumbing code.
- Conduct simplified methods of laying out angles, offsets, turn tees, and reducers.
- Evaluate for understanding flow sheets, plot plans, design procedures.
- Calculate various offsets.
- Establish cutback dimensions for miter turn fittings.
Use basic mathematics and trigonometric functions to solve piping problems.
- Calculate pipe bends for 30 degree to 180 degree piping configurations.
- Demonstrate understanding of standard pipe data, steel butt-welding fittings and 150 to 300 pound welding neck flanges.
- Solve pipe size areas with a steel square.
- Determine the weight and surface area of a piece of pipe.
- Determine the acceptable operational and instillation parameters for copper pipe K-L-M, and polyvinyl chloride plastic pipe.
Demonstrate understanding of tank capacities.
- Calculate water tank capacities for partly filled rectangular shaped tanks.
- Calculate round water tank capacities.
- Calculate concave and convex-head round tank capacities.
- Calculate half-round, elliptical, and conical frustum tank capacities.
Develop an understanding of codes, valves, tubing, and installation procedures.
- Develop an understanding of valve functions, types, and material of construction.
- Develop an understanding of alloy piping and factors to consider in corrosive service.
- Develop an understanding of pumps, air compressors, air trap and air dryers.