Pre-Apprenticeship Basic SkillsSKMA 099
Explores basic mathematics principles. Discusses whole numbers, fractions, decimals, percentages, metric system, rational numbers, polynomials, equations, exponents, and radicals. Reviews algebra, geometry and graphical math. Introduces spatial skills and blue print reading. Examines orthographic projections, three viewdrawings, missing line(s), point and surface identification, fitting pieces together, rotated/flipped and cube unfolding and folding. Includes mechanical comprehension. Analyze physical principles, simple machines, vectors, hydraulics, liquids, density and circular motion. Completion of this course does not guarantee an apprenticeship. Does not earn credit toward graduation. (30)
Outcomes and Objectives
Use whole numbers, fractions, and percents.
- Identify whole numbers.
- Identify fractions.
- Obtain fundamental knowledge of how to reduce fractions to lowest terms.
Use polynomials, equations, and exponents.
- Identify polynomials.
- Recognize and understand equations.
- Interpret exponents.
Demonstrate the basics of Algebra and Geometry.
- Explain algebraic functions.
- Obtain a fundamental knowledge of how to interpret geometric functions.
- Understand algebraic equations.
Demonstrate the basics of Spatial Skills and Blueprint Reading.
- Identify spatial views.
- Identify a section view and the types of sections views used in prints.
- Understand how to read tolerances.
Demonstrate Mechanical Concepts and Reading Comprehension.
- Identify and explain mechanical concepts.
- Comprehend and explain reading situations.