Prerequisite: SKET 120 with a minimum grade of "C". Principles of transformers are discussed and applied to single phase transformers, three phase transformers, wye and delta connections, and isolation transformers. This course develops competency in the understanding and application of the National Electrical Code (NEC) as it applies to transformer installations. Calculations for turns ratio, voltage ratio, and current ratio are used to determine circuit relationships between voltage and current. (30-0)
Outcomes and Objectives
Explain the theory of operation for transformers and identify primary components.
- Explain the principle of self-inductance and mutual-inductance and how it applies to transformers.
- Explain the concept of electromagnetism and how it is used to create a magnetic field in a transformer coil.
- Identify the primary components in transformers.
- Describe the basic operation of single phase transformers.
- Explain the basic operation of three phase transformers.
- Describe the generation of 3 phase power and differentiate between delta and wye connections.
- Explain the construction techniques for various types of transformers.
- Describe preventative maintenance procedures for transformers.
Apply the knowledge of transformer operation to perform calculations.
- Perform calculations to determine current, voltage, and turns ratio for single phase transformers.
- Perform calculations to determine current, voltage, and turns ratio for three phase transformers.
- Describe how to select a transformer for a given application.
- Develop circuit diagrams for the basic operation of various transformers.
- Interpret transformer nameplate data to determine expected values for a properly functioning transformer.
Differentiate between different types of transformers
- Describe the use and operation of power generation and distribution transformers.
- Explain the use and operation of control transformers.
- Describe the use and operation of reactors and isolation transformers.
- Explain the use and operation of autotransformers.
- Describe the use and operation of buck-boost transformers.
- Describe the use and operation of special transformers.
Apply knowledge of transformers to NEC requirements.
- State and comprehend safety precautions when working on electrical equipment.
- Describe procedures for installing transformers and making transformer connections.
- Identify and explain NEC transformer requirements.
- Develop troubleshooting techniques.