Scientific Research DevelopmentSCI 249
Prerequisites: Prerequisites: READING LEVEL 2 and WRITING LEVEL 2 and MATH LEVEL 2 and Faculty permission based on the student’s science background and knowledge.
Exposure to the process of developing and refining a scientific question as the basis for scientific experimentation. Identification of an area of scientific interest, background knowledge in the field and research methods. Development of a research proposal that involves research and rationale, models of data that will be produced, budgetary evaluation, materials needed, time required and equipment to be used. Beneficial to all science majors in Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Engineering. (15-0)
Outcomes and Objectives
Identify a viable scientific project in an area of scientific interest
- Identify a college and/or community professional to facilitate the research project.
- Demonstrate an understanding of problem solving and scientific research.
- Develop techniques and principles on how the research will be executed.
- Present (written and oral) clear explanations of the scientific work to be performed.
Understand how to develop and complete a research project
- Demonstrate skills in using scientific literature.
- Perform effective literature searches using current technologies and professional publications.
- Write a research proposal that addresses relevant questions and scientific issues.
- Develop a proposal that contains clear scientific rationale and methods to investigate the problem.
- Develop a proposal with clear measurable outcomes, statistics and data analysis.