Applied PsychologyPSY 101W
Prerequisites: Prerequisites: LEVEL 2 READING or LEVEL 2 WRITING.
Introduces the psychological principles and processes that can be applied to live a successful and fulfilling life. Explores social interaction, stress and health, psychological disorders and treatment, intimate relationships, and careers. Credit may be earned in PSY 101W or PSY 101CW but not both. (45-0)
Outcomes and Objectives
Analyze the influences of social interaction on behavior of the individual.
- Explain the elements of persuasion and obedience.
- Describe the principles of group process, such as conformity.
- Apply the principles of social interaction to personal and work situations.
Evaluate the relationships among stress, physical health and mental health.
- Identify some of the sources of stress.
- Describe the physical impact of stress.
- Examine ways to prevent or reduce the effects of stress in people’s lives.
Differentiate between various psychological disorders and treatments.
- IIdentify the main symptoms of the major psychological disorders.
- Compare several methods of treatment for psychological disorders.
Examine interpersonal attraction and intimate relationships.
- Discuss the common factors in attraction.
- Examine the onset, development, continuation, and termination of intimate relationships.
- Understand the factors (such as communication) that contribute to successful relationships.
Examine the current career options.
- Explore vocational choice and development.
- Consider ways to find and obtain a job.
- Apply principles of adjustment to the work place.
Perform writing tasks to promote learning of concepts.
- Document attainment of skills learned.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the subject.