General Physics IPHY 111
Prerequisites: Prerequisites: READING LEVEL 2 and WRITING LEVEL 2 and MATH LEVEL 8 or MATH LEVEL 6 with either trigonometry or previous physics course.
Examines the basic physical principles involving mechanics, heat, and sound. (60-45)
Outcomes and Objectives
Solve general physics problems with mathematics.
- Use algebra and trigonometry skills to solve physics problems.
- Evaluate quantities and express them in different unit systems.
Demonstrate understanding of the physics of rigid bodies.
- Solve 1D and 2D kinematic problems/questions.
- Construct and interpret graphs related to motion.
- Solve problems/questions using multiple representations including force, energy, linear momentum, angular momentum and conservation laws.
- Solve rotational kinematic problems/questions.
- Solve static equilibrium problems/questions.
- Solve harmonic motion problems/questions.
Demonstrate understanding of principles of fluids or thermodynamics.
- Explain the idea of pressure as it relates to fluids.
- Solve problems/questions using the kinetic theory of gases and the ideal gas equation.
- Solve problems/questions using heat.
- Explain the ideas related to methods of energy transfer.
Demonstrate understanding of the principles of waves.
- Explain the quantities associated with a wave.
- Explain the difference between transverse and longitudinal waves.
- Solve problems/questions related to wave propagation and interference.
- Solve problems/questions related to standing waves and harmonics.
- Solve problems/questions related to sound as it pertains to Doppler Effect and intensity.
Demonstrate laboratory skills.
- Perform measurements with appropriate devices.
- Use significant digits in calculations correctly.
- Analyze data from experiments to draw conclusions.
- Use technology associated with a science laboratory.
- Use appropriate safety protocols in the laboratory.
- Produce reports from experimental work.
- Demonstrate understanding of the scientific method.