Develops the touch system of the alphabetic, numeric, symbol keys and the 10-key pad of the microcomputer keyboard. Credit may be earned in OSE 170 or OAT 170 but not in both. A waiver test is available for those who are proficient in typing. (30-0)
Outcomes and Objectives
Demonstrate the ability to use the letter, number, and symbol keys on the computer keyboard.
- Complete practice work using the letter, number, and symbol keys
- Complete at least three time writings that show the ability to keyboard by touch for 3 minutes at 25-30 gross words per minute with five or fewer errors. (Error correction is not allowed.)
Demonstrate the ability to use the numeric keypad on the computer keyboard.
- Complete practice work using the numeric keypad.
- Complete at least two timings that show the ability to keystroke by touch for 5 minutes on 100-stroke problems at a rate of 75-80 keystrokes per minute with no more than one incorrect answer. (Error correction is allowed.)
Demonstrate the ability to use the computer effectively and efficiently.
- Operate the keyboard by touch using correct technique.
- Use computers, printers, and storage media.
- Open, close, and use various software programs.
Demonstrate a basic understanding of document processing.
- Use text enhancement features (bold, underline, italics, all caps, font changes), various alignments, tabs, line spacing changes, text selection methods, and cursor movement commands.
- Format simple documents, such as letters and reports.
Demonstrate the ability to proofread typed copy.
- Proofread timed writings for accuracy.
- Proofread and correct errors on document processing projects.
Demonstrate efficient work habits.
- Attend class promptly and consistently.
- Follow written and oral directions.
- Meet homework and project deadlines.