Prerequisite: OAT 151 and OAT 171 both with a grade of "C" or better. Develops proofreading and editing skills. Reviews business writing principles and the use of revision symbols. Emphasizes revising both format and content of business documents. Requires a service learning experience. (30-0)
Outcomes and Objectives
Demonstrate proofreading skill.
- Identify errors in documents using appropriate proofreading methods.
Edit and revise business documents.
- Use standard revision symbols for typographical errors, spelling errors, word division, capitalization, number expression, punctuation, grammatical construction, word usage, and inconsistencies.
- Punctuate business documents.
- Identify and apply appropriate business document style for a given situation.
Evaluate final documents.
- Compare the original writing task to the final document.
Participate in an academic service learning project.
- Select a service-learning placement site and an appropriate opportunity either online or on ground.
- Participate for a minimum of three hours at an approved placement site utilizing proofreading, editing, and/or writing skills through standard English applications.
- Keep a reflective journal of dates, tasks, hours, and thoughts about the experience.
- Write a follow-up letter to thank the supervisor for the experience.
- Share information orally about the service learning experience in an informal classroom setting.
- Write a brief one- to two-page memo report summarizing the service-learning project following the conventions of edited standard written English.
Perform writing tasks to promote learning of concepts.
- Document attainment of skills learned.
- Demonstrate knowledge of subject.
Demonstrate professionalism appropriate for the workplace.
- Attend class promptly and consistently.
- Follow written and oral directions.
- Complete and submit homework on time.
- Participate constructively in classroom activities.
- Display civility toward other class members and the instructor.
- Demonstrate academic integrity.