Applied Music Voice Minor--FreshmanMUS 175
Prerequisite: Permission of music department. Develops the voice through repertoire, proper vocal techniques, warm-ups to extend vocal range and pitch matching, and works on proper practice and performance techniques. (15-0)
Outcomes and Objectives
Identify music symbols involved in vocal reading and how to follow them.
- Understand musical symbols and terms.
- Sing while maintaining an independent vocal line from the musical accompaniment.
- Recognize ascending and descending intervals both visually and aurally.
Develop the voice and its relationship to tonal production.
- Work with the voice developing range, tonal flexibility, strength and independence.
- Read music observing intervallic steps and skips and repeated melodic phrase patterns.
- Work with piano to not only hear and match tones, but also begin hearing intervals to facilitate sight reading skills using solfege.
- Work on artistry and musicianship through use of dynamics, ritardando, accelerando, rubato, tacets, etc.
Apply vocal skills in a performance.
- Work with music in different styles.
- Rehearse to develop strength in vocal interpretation and presence.
- Practice good rehearsal and performance techniques for both classical and popular vocal music.