Choir IIMUS 155
Prerequisites: Prerequisites: MUS 154 or Instructor permission.
Provides a continuing opportunity for ensemble singing in 2, 3, 4, or more parts. Develops further repertoire, musicianship, and proper vocal techniques through reading choral music, extending vocal range, pitch matching, proper practice, and performance techniques. (30-0)
Outcomes and Objectives
Identify advanced music symbols involved in choral reading and how to follow them.
- Understand more advanced musical symbols and terms.
- Read music in several parts, i.e., 2-part, 3-part, 4-part.
- Sing in parts while maintaining independent musical line.
- Recognize ascending and descending intervals both visually and aurally.
Develop further the voice and its relationship to tonal production.
- Work with the voice further developing range, tonal flexibility, strength and independence.
- Read music in different clefs, observing intervallic steps and skips and repeated phrase patterns both in melody and harmony.
- Work with piano to not only hear and match tones, but also begin hearing intervals to facilitate sight reading skills using solfege.
- Develop ensemble sound through working with blending and balancing vocal parts.
Apply vocal skills in a performance.
- Work with choral music in different styles at a more technical level.
- Rehearse in sectionals to continue developing strength in individual vocal parts.
- Practice good rehearsal and performance techniques for both formal choral singing and stage movement.