Introduction to Composite MaterialsMT 215
Prerequisite: MATH LEVEL 6. Prepares student in the basic concepts and definitions of composite materials. Covers fabrication, structure, properties, and applications of fibrous materials as well as structure and properties of polymer matrix, metal matrix, and ceramic matrix materials. Studies interface between fiber and matrix, fabrication methods, properties and applications of composites structures which include wind energy, marine, aerospace, etc. Credit may be earned in MT 215 or WTT 215 but not both. (30-30)
Outcomes and Objectives
Identify the materials and construction methods of composite structures.
- Identify and explain the basic principles of the design, construction, maintenance, and repair of composite structures.
- Identify the resin materials that are common to the composite industry.
- Identify the reinforcement fabrics that are common to the composite industry.
- Describe the core materials used in sandwich laminates.
- Explain the advantages and disadvantages and properties of the four classes of composites.
- Describe finishing materials and processes including gel coats, UV protection, etc.
Demonstrate the proper techniques to repair composite structures.
- Demonstrate the skills required to return a composite structure back to service life.
- Compare different repair methods.
- Inspect, select, and demonstrate proper composite repair techniques.
- Identify the various composite structures manufacturing methods as they relate to various industries including wind energy, marine, aerospace, automotive, etc.
Identify composite failures and modes of failure.
- Explain mechanical behavior, fatigue behavior, and construction of composite structures.
- Identify damage that can affect structural integrity.
- Explain composites failures and identify techniques for failure identification which may include noise problems and visual identification.
- Explain the industy standards that impact composite performances, operation, and maintenance characteristics.
- Explain nondestructive and destructive composite evaluation techniques.
Demonstrate thorough understanding of knowledge related to safety and personal protection when performing maintenance actions on composite structures.
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding to read MSDS for required safety information associated with composites materials used in this course.
- Demonstrate proper safety techniques.
- Demonstrate proper use of personal protection equipment.