Prerequisites: Prerequisites: READING LEVEL 2 and WRITING LEVEL 2.
Studies natural and man-made fibers, their properties and unique characteristics. Identifies fabrics used in wearing apparel and interior design; fabric production, performance and use; final processes and finishes; the study of weaves, pattern and color. (45-0)
Outcomes and Objectives
Demonstrate an understanding of textile standards, information labels, and basic terminology of the textile industry.
- Describe the established textile standards and how they impact the consumer
- Illustrate examples of textile information labels and describe each
- Define basic textile terminology
Demonstrate an understanding of textile fiber identification from which fashion fabrics are made.
- Discuss the different major fiber types
- Conduct fiber examination and discuss various methods of fiber examination
- List, explain and discuss fiber properties and characteristics for all major fibers
- Categorize the general characteristics of fiber families and list the unique characteristics of individual fibers
- Predict fabric performance in terms of fiber characteristics
- Identify commonly used fabrics by name
- Discuss the rapidly changing nature of textiles and the need for continual study to appraise new developments
Demonstrate an understanding of the process of converting fibers into yarn.
- Describe fiber arrangement
- Illustrate and explain yarn structure
- Discuss yarns and their characteristics
Demonstrate an understanding of fabric structure.
- Discuss the various methods of fabrication, the converting of fibers to years
- Discuss the method of fabricating fabrics directly from fibers
- Discuss the methods of fabricating fabrics from yarns
- Describe the general characteristics of yarns and explain the contribution each type makes to fabric appearance and performance
- Describe the general characteristics of fabric structures and explain the contribution each type makes to fabric appearance and performance
- Predict fabric performance in terms of yarn structures and fabric structures
Demonstrate an understanding of dyestuffs and color application
- Describe bleaching
- Discuss the various dye applications
- Explain the fabric printing process
- Describe the general characteristics of finishes and explain the contribution each type makes to fabric appearance and performance
- Discuss finishes that alter appearance
- Discuss functional finishes