Introduces basic skills of passing, dribbling, shooting, positional play, rules, and strategy of the game. Includes special conditioning to improve individual wellness. Credit may be earned in one of the following ONLY: LWA 124, LW 123, LW 124, or LW 125. (0-30)
Outcomes and Objectives
Describe and explain the concepts and components of basketball.
- Describe and explain the following basic concepts of both offensive and defensive basketball: Half court man to man and zone offensive patterns of attack, half court man to man and zone defenses, full court offensive press breakers, full court defensive presses, fast break offensive strategies, and out-of-bounds plays against both man to man and zone defenses.
- Describe and explain some the fitness benefits of playing basketball.
- Describe and explain the basic rules of the game of basketball.
- Describe and explain the following basketball terms: assist, baseline, box-and-one, crossover dribble, defensive rebound, double-teamed, fast break, front court, goaltending, high post, post, reverse pivot, screen and roll, pass and cut, switch, three-second lane, tip-in, trailer, traveling, and zone defense.
Demonstrate the concepts and components of basketball.
- Demonstrate a basic proficiency in the following skills:
- Demonstrate an ability to execute through full court play the following offensive and defensive team skills:
Demonstrate the concepts and components of Weight Training
- Demonstrate how to take, monitor, and calculate personal heart rates.
- Maintain daily class records showing the developing weight training program.
- Demonstrate various weight training exercises using safe and effective techniques.
Demonstrate the concepts and components of exercise and wellness principles.
- Demonstrate how to determine, monitor, and calculate exercise heart rates and training zones.
Know the following concepts and components of exercise and wellness principles.
- Describe and explain the five health-related components of fitness and give examples of activities that, when performed, meet the criteria for improving each component.
- Describe and explain the concept of warm-up and cool-down as they relate to physical activity.
- Identify the following large muscle groups and give examples of strengthening and stretching exercises for each: quadriceps, hamstrings, biceps, triceps, rectus abdominus, latissimus dorsi, gastrocnemius, gluteus maximus, pectorals, deltoids.
- Describe and explain the relationship of cardiac output and stroke volume to cardio respiratory endurance activities.
- List the six essential nutrients, the caloric value and food sources of each, and the relationship of each nutrient to the Food Guide Pyramid.