Legal WritingLSP 280W
Prerequisite: ENG 111 (or OAT 151), and LSP 110W, LSP 115, LSP 120; all with a minimum grade of "C" (2.0). Develops techniques for presentation of technical material in formal and informal written reports, letters, or other current forms of business communication in a legal context. (22.5-0)
Outcomes and Objectives
Produce legal compositions.
- Consider audience and purpose.
- Plan writing processes, using effective strategies and techniques.
- Include a clear articulation of the important ideas.
- Select, organize, and present details to support a main idea.
- Demonstrate the ability to move between generalization and detail.
- Write effective introductions and conclusions.
- Employ the appropriate writing conventions.
Demonstrate interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrate the ability to derive meaning from a piece of writing.
- Demonstrate the ability to distinguish between the meaning one makes of a text and the author's intended meaning.
- Interpret reading and writing tasks in such a way as to invest them with personal significance, thereby creating ways to make reading and writing vital activities in a lifetime of learning.
- Demonstrate critical thinking skills.
- Understand the relationship among language, knowledge, and power.
Work with others, both in and out of the classroom.
- Reflect upon and assess one's own work as well as the work of others.
- Show willingness to work with others, seeking help where necessary and offering help where it is sought.