Geology of Mackinac IslandGLG 262AW
Prerequisites: Prerequisites: READING LEVEL 2 and WRITING LEVEL 2 and MATH LEVEL 2.
Studies the bedrock geology and glacial features of Mackinac Island and surrounding areas, including Tahquamenon Falls. Weekend field trip required with students paying their own expenses. (15-0)
Outcomes and Objectives
Describe the rocks on Mackinac Island and surrounding areas.
- List major classes of rocks.
- Outline the steps involved in the formation of sedimentary rock.
- Describe the rock formations comprising Mackinac Island.
- Classify and identify unknown rocks on the basis of their physical properties.
Describe and identify geologic features found on and around Mackinac Island.
- Describe the glacial features on Mackinac Island.
- Outline the steps in the formation of the Mackinac breccia.
- Describe the erosional features found on Mackinac Island.
- Explain the geological development of Tahquamenon Falls.
Explain the concept of geologic time.
- Contrast relative vs. absolute time.
- Describe the formation of the Michigan basin.
- Describe the use of fossils in age-dating sedimentary rocks.
Critically assess the evidence for glaciation of Mackinac Island and its affect on history.
- Analyze and describe the relevant evidence for Ice Age lake level changes on Mackinac Island.
- Explain the historical significance of geologic features on the development of Mackinac Island.