Introduction to ScreenwritingENG 258W
Prerequisite: A "C" grade or better in a college level composition I course or permission of instructor. Begins the exploration of screenwriting. Focuses on understanding the basics of the genre, especially formatting and movie planning. Includes peer critique, instructor comments, and extensive revision. (30-0)
Outcomes and Objectives
Begin original screenplay.
- Write premises, ask major dramatic questions, construct movie maps, and compose up to twenty-five pages of an actual screenplay.
- Develop the craft of a screenwriter.
Revise and edit original work.
- Rewrite work in an effort to improve it.
- Demonstrate an understanding of revision.
Interact productively with instructor and peers for the purpose of developing writing skills.
- Give and receive verbal and written responses to student work.
- Demonstrate an open attitude towards feedback.
Learn by reading professional screenplays.
- Demonstrate ability to understand a professional screenplay and discuss its strengths.