Creative Writing: Young Adult FictionENG 247
Prerequisite: A "C" grade or better in a college level composition I course. Builds on previous writing experience to write original works of fiction aimed at the Children’s and Young Adult reading market. Reads and analyzes works in the YA genre. Uses peer workshop, peer comments, instructor critiques, and written feedback for revision of student writing. (45-0)
Outcomes and Objectives
Demonstrate an understanding of Young Adult fiction from reading assigned works.
- Identify elements of fiction in YA stories.
- Demonstrate understanding of individual YA stories, verbally and in writing.
Generate original work.
- Write fiction that meets the criteria for a YA audience.
- Demonstrate ability with elements of fiction (characterization, plot development, and tone) specific to the YA genre.
- Express relatable themes through a fictional work.
Revise and edit original short stories.
- Rewrite stories effectively.
- Use the processes of revising and editing stories.
- Revise stories over the course of the semester with an effort to improve.
Participate effectively in workshops and/or conferences with the instructor.
- Give and receive verbal and/or written responses to fiction.
- Demonstrate a receptive and invested attitude toward feedback, both given and received.
- Apply verbal and written feedback constructively.