Advanced ReportingENG 217
Prerequisite: ENG 116. Focuses on advanced journalistic techniques and news gathering methods, handling specialized assignments in government, crime, courts, sports, business and education plus editorial columns and entertainment reviews. Class members work on The Delta Collegiate. (30-30)
Outcomes and Objectives
Understand and apply the principles of gathering news.
- Apply observation skills at news events.
- Apply interviewing skills with news sources.
- Apply research skills in the library and on-line.
- Apply beat reporting on campus.
Understand journalistic concepts.
- Distinguish between fact and opinion.
- Recognize elements of news including importance, timeliness, consequence, conflict, humor, the unusual, prominence, proximity and human interest.
- Defend accuracy of reporting and writing.
- Explain the importance of ethics on the job.
Apply concepts and principles of news writing.
- Modify the inverted pyramid format to fit specialized situations.
- Attribute information through proper use of direct and indirect quotes.
- Treatment of reported issues with objectivity and balance.
Write in journalistic style.
- Compose specialized stories including: editorial column, meeting story, crime, courts, sports, business, entertainment review, investigative story and follow up.
- Edit stories in Associated Press style.
Evaluate written work, both orally and in writing.
- Critique own writing.
- Critique writing of classmates.