Applied Spelling TechniquesENG 104W
Emphasizes English spelling patterns and sequences as well as techniques for approaching spelling for adult learners. Shows students how to apply critical thinking strategies to identify and meet their individual spelling needs. (30-0)
Outcomes and Objectives
Discover the organizing principles of the English spelling system.
- Recognize that the system in English spelling is based on a combination of sound, syntax, meaning, and tradition.
- Identify principles of English phonics.
- Discover the usefulness and the limitations of spelling rules.
- Define the problems associated with homophones and develop strategies to solve them.
Demonstrate awareness of self as speller.
- Analyze individual spelling habits and performance.
- Select concepts and strategies that will strengthen individual spelling habits and performance.
- Deliberately and regular apply concepts and strategies that will strengthen individual spelling.
Build repertoire of words that are useful in academic and workplace writing.
- Master words frequently used by most writers.
- Identify and master words frequently used in courses and workplaces for which individual will be writing.
Participate in "writing to learn" activities.
- Perform writing tasks to promote learning.
- Write effectively for a specific audience and purpose.
- Demonstrate the learning of concepts through writing.