Introduction to STEM Explorer: Surface ExplorationsEDU 220
Prepares 6th through 8th grade teachers for a visit from the STEM Explorer for participation in the Surface Exploration modules. Helps teachers to maximize the experience for their students by providing an opportunity for them to engage in each of the modules prior to the visit. Create lessons to prepare students for the STEM Explorer activities. Prepare follow-up lessons that tie in specific grade level performance expectations from the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS) and the Michigan K-12 Science Standards. (15-0)
Outcomes and Objectives
Demonstrate an understanding of the STEM Explorer Surface Exploration modules.
- Articulate the vision, goals, and objectives of the STEM Explorer program.
- Successfully complete each of the training modules on or outside the STEM Explorer vehicle.
- Review and provide feedback on the pre-designed introductory and follow-up classroom activities.
Prepare and plan for the Surface Exploration modules.
- Choose one long and two short modules for the STEM Explorer visit to the teacher's school in the upcoming school year and show how it fits into the current curriculum.
- Create one grade-level appropriate introductory lesson related specifically to NGSS Performance Expectations, the Michigan Math Standards and/or the National Education Technology Standards (NETS) to prepare students for the STEM Explorer visit.
- Create one grade-level appropriate follow-up lesson related specifically to NGSS Performance Expectations to implement after the STEM Explorer visit.
- Share the lessons related on the Delta College eLearning site and participate in an online discussion board.
Prepare for implementation and follow-up.
- Schedule the STEM Explorer visit.
- Implement the developed lesson in anticipation of the STEM Explorer visit.
- Implement the follow-up lesson in the classroom.
- Present introductory and follow-up lessons at an informal, required gathering at the end of the school year that includes a provided rubric.