Clinical Education IDMS 117W
Prerequisites; DMS 101, DMS 103, DMS 104, and DMS 106 all with a "B" (3.0) minimum grade, and LW 206A with a "C" (2.0) minimum grade. Concurrent enrollment in DMS 112, DMS 113, DMS 114, DMS 115, and DMS 116. Provides structured clinical experience necessary to perform sonographic procedures of the abdomen, pelvis, fetus, and small parts. (0-440)
Outcomes and Objectives
Demonstrate understanding of the clinical facility and department policies and procedures.
- Attend hospital orientation or go through orientation with designated instructor.
- Identify the location of all crash carts, fire alarms and extinguishers.
- Learn the emergency number to dial for a code or other emergencies.
- Become knowledgeable in basic department mechanics.
Demonstrate professional behavior in the workplace.
- Adhere to the department dress code.
- Demonstrate punctuality.
- Demonstrate the ability to communicate with patients and staff.
- Appreciate the worth and dignity of every patient.
- Demonstrate appropriate interaction techniques for various types of patients.
- Show concern for the patient's modesty at all times.
- Maintain patient confidentiality at all times.
- Demonstrate the appropriate procedure for patient transfer.
Demonstrate abilities needed to perform an ultrasound exam.
- Describe and demonstrate methods that obtain patient history.
- Select appropriate transducer(s) and machine settings for a specific exam.
- Understand and demonstrate the process for film acquisition.
- Show the ability to properly fill out an exam worksheet.
- Demonstrate a knowledge of all machine controls and functions.
- Begin to show competence in the following areas:
- Begin to show skills in the following areas: