Introduction to Ultrasound ScanningDMS 107
Must be accepted into the DMS program. Concurrent enrollment in DMS 100, DMS 105W, DMS 108, DMS 107L. Provides an introduction to sonographic imaging. Teaches basic operations of the ultrasound machine along with transducer orientation and imaging scan planes. (7.5-0)
Outcomes and Objectives
Demonstrate the basic operations of the ultrasound machine and transducer orientation.
- Identify the following controls on the ultrasound machine and know their function:
Demonstrate the ability to scan planes and body positions when scanning the abdomen/pelvis.
- Recognize the main body planes when scanning.
- Demonstrate the following scan positions:
Demonstrate basic concepts to optimize image presentation.
- Recognize under or over penetration and know how to adjust the image appropriately.
- Demonstrate the ability to zoom or magnify an image.
- Adjust the focal zone for the object being scanned.
- Adjust depth appropriately for the object being scanned.
- Demonstrate how toadjust contrast resolution.
- List ideal transducer frequencies for the object being scanned.
- Demonstrate how to take 2-dimensional measurement.
- Differentiate between enhancement and shadowing.