Dental Materials II LabDA 125LW
Prerequisites: Prerequisites: DA 110, DA 110LW, DA 113W, DA 114W, DA 117W, and HSC 140 with a "C" (2.
0) minimum grade in each. Concurrent enrollment in DA 120, DA 120LW, DA 121W, and DA 125W. Introduces the manipulation of indirect and adjunct restorative procedures. (0-60)
Outcomes and Objectives
Manipulate impression materials used in dentistry.
- Manipulate each category of impression materials.
- Obtain diagnostic and final impressions.
- Obtain various types of bite registrations.
Demonstrate the manipulation of gypsum products.
- Demonstrate techniques for the pouring of alginate impressions with gypsum products.
- Discuss and demonstrate the procedures for the trimming and finishing of study models constructed from gypsum products.
Manipulate plastics as used in dentistry.
- Demonstrate the method to fabricate custom impression trays, whitening trays, mouth guards, and acrylic provisionals.
- Discuss and demonstrate the various uses and materials for the Triad Machine.
Discuss and utilize dental waxes.
- Observe the fabrication of a bite rim at a commercial laboratory.
- Observe the fabrication of a crown/coping wax-up at a commercial laboratory.
- Recognize and manipulate dental waxes.
Observe porcelain, gold, and semi-precious metal techniques.
- Observe the investing, casting, and polishing of a gold restoration in a commercial laboratory.
Identify and manipulate various dental cements.
- Describe and compare various permanent and temporary cements.
- Discuss the factors that influence luting cements.
- Compare various cements and their uses.
- Manipulate various cements to various consistencies and discuss their uses and applications.
- Identify the chemical composition and properties of cements.
- Identify brand names of cements.
- Describe and demonstrate placement of a cement base on a typodont model.
Polish and clean various removable appliances and protheses.
- Identify the armamentarium needed for cleaning and polishing.
- Complete the procedural steps for cleaning and polishing.