Android Application DevelopmentCST 185
Prerequisite: CST 173 with a minimum grade of "C" or instructor permission. Designs, develops, and maintains simple mobile applications geared toward Android devices. Focuses primarily on programming, graphic design, and application development for various mobile devices. (45-0)
Outcomes and Objectives
Demonstrate understanding of the Android platform.
- Understand the market for Android applications.
- Describe the features of the Android devices.
- Identify languages used in Android development.
- Explain the role of the Android market.
Create Android applications.
- Understand and use an integrated development environment (IDE) for building and integrating application development tools.
- Design the user interface of an application by understanding the Java code and XML layout files.
- Apply various widgets (text controls, image controls, button controls, etc.) to the user interface.
- Select a linear or relative layout for the user interface.
- Create an activity (also called Java class) to process user input to the Android Manifest file.
- Write Java event handlers.
- Debug errors in Java code.
- Test the application in the Android Emulator.
Modify Android applications.
- Apply an Android theme.
- Understand how to define a Text Field for data entry and declare variables to hold data.
- Display a custom launcher icon.
- Code a RadioButton, an If statement, an If Else statement, and nested If statements.
- Display an Android toast notification.
Build a user interface with advanced features.
- Use an array to create a list that displays to users in an application.
- Create an Android project using a splash screen and/or a tabular layout.
- Learn how to add audio, an image gallery, and video to your application.
Create an Android application with animation.
- Understand Frame animation.
- Understand Tween animation.
- Identify the start() and stop() methods.
Publish an Android app.
- Understand Google Play.
- Target various device configuations.
- Create a release-ready package that users can install and run on their devices.
- Prepare promotional materials.
- Learn how to register for a Google Play account.