PC Hardware Concepts and TroubleshootingCST 128
Uses hands-on experiences to examine the internal hardware components of computers with an emphasis on troubleshooting and repair. Discusses interaction of operating system and hardware in running application programs. Explores upgrading and optimizing computers to solve typical hardware and software problems. (60-0)
Outcomes and Objectives
Demonstrate a basic knowledge of computer hardware.
- Differentiate between motherboard components, their purposes, and properties.
- Compare and contrast RAM types and features.
- Install and configure expansioncards and storage devices.
- Identify connector types and associated cables.
- Differentiate among various CPU types and features.
- Compare and contrast various connection interfaces and explain their purposes.
- Configure and apply BIOS settings.
- Identify different power supplies.
Demonstrate essential Networking skills.
- Identify types of network cables and connectors.
- Categorize characteristics of connectors and cabling.
- Explain properties and characteristics of TCP/IP.
- Explain common TCP and UDP ports, protocols, and their purposes.
- Install and configure a wireless/wired router using appropriate settings.
- Compare and contrast wireless networking standards and encryption types.
- Compare and contrast Internet connection types and features.
- Identify various types of networks.
- Compare and contrast network devices and their functions and features.
Configure laptop hardware and components.
- Compare and contrast laptop features.
- Disassemble and reassemble a laptop.
- Use appropriate printer drivers for a given operating system in a wireless environment.
- Explain the differences between the various types of printers.
Demonstrate standard operating procedures.
- Given a scenario, use appropriate safety procedures.
- Explain environmental impacts and the purpose of environmental controls.
Demonstrate proper communication and professionalism.
- Deal with difficult customer situations.
- Deal appropriately with customers' confidential materials.