Small Group CommunicationCOM 214W
Prerequisite: COM 114W, READING LEVEL 3 and WRITING LEVEL 3. Focuses on small group communication theories, strategies, and skills for successful group participation. Increases student competency as effective team members and leaders. (45-0)
Outcomes and Objectives
Examine the nature of small group communication.
- Define small group communication.
- Differentiate between various theoretical perspectives of group communication.
- Identify group process.
- Examine types of groups.
Describe the development and membership of small groups.
- Identify group development stages.
- Examine group norms.
- Examine goals for small groups.
- Identify diversity within small groups.
- Differentiate between task oriented and social oriented group roles.
- Perform roles in small groups.
Employ effective communication in the small group.
- Identify effective verbal and nonverbal communication skills.
- Distinguish the various types of listening in the small group.
- Identify the impact of communication climate on the function of a group.
- Utilize effective listening strategies.
- Demonstrate effective communication in small groups.
Identify group decision making and problem solving techniques.
- Differentiate between problem solving and decision making.
- Identify methods of problem solving and decision making.
- Identify barriers to effective problem solving and decision making.
- Practice problem solving methods.
- Practice decision making methods.
Demonstrate effective methods for conflict management in small groups.
- Identify conflict management styles and strategies.
- Practice effective conflict management in small groups.
Employ leadership skills in small groups.
- Define leadership.
- Identify leadership styles.
- Identify leadership functions and traits.
- Employ leadership principles.
Determine effective strategies to achieve group meeting success.
- Investigate effective planning strategies for group meetings.
- Identify procedures for conducting group meetings.
- Identify communication skills for effective participation in group meetings.
- Analyze a group meeting.
Demonstrate skills for effective group presentations.
- Identify types of group presentations.
- Employ effective planning for a group presentation.
- Demonstrate effective delivery skills for a group presentation.
- Particpate in a group presentation.
- Critique a group presentation.