3D Parametric Solid ModelingCAD 226
Prerequisite: CST 103 recommended or basic knowledge of the Windows Operating System. Develops skills in the use of 3D parametric solid modeling software. Converts solid models to 2D multi-view drawings and generates assembly and animation files. Culminates in Rapid Prototyping project and final presentation. (45-0)
Outcomes and Objectives
Use reading and writing skills to gather information from technical texts.
- Complete assignments by gathering information from reading.
- Use reading strategies to disseminate and organize information.
- Create a notebook as an essential reference.
- Record sufficient notes from which to work independently.
Use a computer, a current operating system, and word processing software.
- Start and exit software as required and name files as prescribed.
- Demonstrate the correct handling and operation of storage media.
- Format and label two 100MB or 250 MB zip disks.
- Demonstrate proper file management and backup procedures.
- Use a word processing program for all written assignments.
Develop effective sketch mode abilities.
- Use the sketching environment and interpret the sketch commands to create a rough sketch of the model.
- Add parameters in the form of dimensions and constraints.
- Set values for the dimensions.
Use higher level drawing to produce a 3D model from the sketch using basic parametric modeling techniques.
- Use navigational tools such as Rotate, Pan, and Zoom in the modeling mode.
- Create user-defined work planes.
- Create 3D models using Extrude, Revolve, Loft, Sweep, and Coil features.
- Modify the 3D solid using Cut, Fillet, Chamfer, and Shell features.
- Use Boolean editing features to modify 3D solid models.
- Add materials to 3D solid models.
- Analyze the shape of the model and determine which method(s) of producing 3D objects and which Boolean operations are necessary for the completion of the model.
Produce other types of working drawings.
- Generate multi-view working drawings from a 3D solid model.
- Produce working assembly drawings using 3D solid composite models.
- Develop animated presentation drawing files from 3D composite assembly files.
Generate a stereo lithography file and 3D printed part.
- Convert 3D solid model to a stereo lithography file.
- Use 3D printer interface software to create 3D Printer file.
- Create 3D plastic part.
Prepare a visual presentation to be used as an electronic resume.
- Use presentation software effectively.
- Access, analyze, and use gathered information for an electronic presentation.
- Develop comprehensive presentation that shows ability in several CAD modes.
- Add pertinent information needed for a professional resume.
Demonstrate productive interactions with others.
- Practice citizenship by respecting each person's drawing files as their personal property.
- Ask and respond to questions during drawing demonstrations.
- Display a willingness to help classmates.
- Demonstrate employability, interpersonal, teamwork, and leadership skills necessary to function in a multicultural business setting.
- Use effective listening skills during classroom demonstrations.