Ceramics IART 231
Identifies, demonstrates, and discusses basic clay hand building techniques and surface design. Interprets and analyzes various processes of traditional and contemporary ceramic styles. Employs a variety of methods to produce ceramic vessels and objects. (0-90)
Outcomes and Objectives
Identify art historically relevant ceramic styles and processes.
- Discuss formal, technical, and pedagogical aspects of various ceramic traditions.
- Summarize formal, technical, and pedagogical aspects of various ceramic styles.
Demonstrate various technical clay construction methods to produce hand-built or wheel-thrown ceramic vessels and objects.
- Interpret various methods of fabricating ceramic vessels and objects.
- Apply relevant concurrent technologies to produce ceramic vessels and objects.
Use ceramic glazing and surface design techniques.
- Apply ceramic glazes, oxidization, marbling, and slip to produce surface designs on three-dimensional clay vessels and objects.
Summarize critical analysis of ceramic concepts.
- Analyze applied ceramic concepts through written critiques.
- Analyze applied ceramic concepts through oral critiques.