Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA)ACC 216W
Prerequisite: MATH LEVEL 4 and READING LEVEL 3. Provides instruction in preparation of federal, state, and local individual income tax returns and uses practical experience in the preparation of these returns. Provides service to qualifying citizens within the tri-county district by preparing tax forms and filing electronically. Requires 30 hours of service-learning. (30-30)
Outcomes and Objectives
Describe and analyze the characteristics of federal, state, and local income tax returns.
- Identify and analyze key components of all federal income tax returns (filing requirements, filing status, personal exemptions).
- Identify and analyze common federal taxable income and deduction items.
- Identify and analyze common federal tax credits.
- Identify and analyze components of state and local income tax returns.
- Demonstrate efficiency with, and knowledge of, income tax filing software.
- Demonstrate efficiency with and knowledge of, IRS online training modules.
Prepare federal, state, and local income tax returns for individual taxpayers.
- Identify relevant tax issues for specific taxpayers through interview process.
- Prepare federal, state, and local income tax returns using tax filing software.
- Identify and correct tax preparation errors through self-review process.
- Apply constructive feedback from quality review personnel.
Communicate personal reflections pertaining to experience in the program.
- Explain the concept of service-learning.
- Describe experiences obtained during the tax season.
- Discuss personal and professional implications of the course.