AARP Driver Safety Program
This program was featured in a Midland Daily News article published May 3, 2009. You can read the article "Driving Yourself" (PDF).
Cars have changed and so have traffic rules, driving conditions and the roads we drive on every day. Let us bring you up to speed. Enroll in the AARP Driver Safety Program that is being sponsored by the Delta College 50+...Just Like Gold program. Eight hours of instruction (no tests) for only $12 for AARP members and $14 for nonmembers. The fee will be collected at the beginning of the class but advance registration is required as there as enrollment is limited so you will have the opportunity to ask questions and interact with the instructor.
AARP Drivers Safety Class Schedule
Dates: Thursday, October 24, 2013
Time: 9am - 4:30pm
Location: Midland Community Center, 2205 Jefferson, Midland
Cost: $ 12.00 AARP members; $14.00 all others.
Payment collected at first session.
Must advance register by calling 989-832-7937, x2270.
This special AARP program has helped millions of drivers 50+ learn safety strategies and tips to help them adapt to physical and mental changes related to aging. You will learn defensive driving techniques, new traffic laws, rules of the road and you do NOT take a test. Some Michigan insurance companies offer an automobile insurance discount if you complete the course.
You will learn:
- Defensive driving techniques, new traffic laws and rules of the road
- How to deal with aggressive drivers
- How to handle problem situations such as left turns, right-of-way, interstate highway traffic including large trucks, changing lanes, and blind spots
- How to safely use anti-lock brakes, air bags, and safety belts
- How to maintain physical flexibility needed for driving (looking over your shoulder, etc.)
- How to monitor your own and others’ driving skills and capabilities
- How to deal with special driving situations (weather, night driving, fog, etc.)
- The effects of aging on driving and learn driving strategies that take into account the changes we experience as we age
- To identify the most common crash situations we face and reduce the chances of having an accident
- The warning signs of unsafe driving and review the sensitive issue of knowing when to choose to retire from driving
After completing the course, you’ll develop a greater appreciation of driving challenges and how you can avoid potential collisions and injuries to yourself and others. At the end of the course you will receive a certificate that you can present to your automobile insurance company as you may qualify for an insurance discount (check with your specific company).
The AARP Driving Program has developed program has helped millions of drivers 50+ learn safety strategies and tips to help them adapt to physical and mental changes related to aging. You will learn defensive driving techniques, new traffic laws, rules of the road and you do NOT take a test. Some Michigan insurance companies offer an automobile insurance discount to those who complete the course.
Payment will be collected at the beginning of the session but Advance Registration is required. You must show your AARP card at the time of payment in order to receive the reduced rate.
Directions and Locations of all Centers: Free parking is available at all locations.
Delta College Ricker Center (1925 Outer Drive, Saginaw) - Map and Directions
Delta College Planetarium and Learning Center (100 Center Avenue, Bay City) - Map and Directions
Delta College Main Campus (1961 Delta Rd, corner of Mackinaw and Delta Roads) - Map and Directions
Delta College Midland Center (1025 Wheeler Street, Midland) - Map and Directions