What is an Honors Option?
A student must be accepted into the Honors Program to be eligible for an Honors Option.
To qualify for priority registration, Honors Option Proposals must be submitted and approved PRIOR to the start of the 8th week of the semester.
The main purpose of an Honors Option is to increase the scope and depth of learning in a non-Honors course and to enrich the student's experience. You can receive Honors credit in non-Honors courses by going beyond the regular class requirements.
- The student should meet with the instructor early in the semester to ensure enough time to complete the Honors Option project. The student and the instructor should use a creative approach to devise a unique learning experience. The Honors Option must exhibit higher level thinking skills, for example; analyzing, synthesizing, and evaluating.
- The student initiates the contract by completing and submitting the Honors Option Project HOP Proposal form. The form will then be forwarded to the instructor. When the Instructor portion of the form is completed, it will be sent to the Honors Program Director for review. When a project is accepted, the student should work closely with the instructor to complete the project.
- Upon successful completion of the Honors Option, the instructor must complete and submit an Honors Option Verification Form.
- The Honors Director will review the completed Verification Form and the student and instructor will be notified as to whether or not the project is approved.
- Upon successful completion of the Honors Option, a "+" will be posted on the transcript.
If you have further questions or would like more information, visit our Frequently Asked Questions page or call the Honors Office at 989-686-9091.