The world is what we share...make it your classroom! Gain an international dimension and a global perspective in your major or program.
Why Study Abroad?
Students choose to study abroad for a variety of reasons. Some are purely interested in travel; living in another country provides a perspective well beyond the scope of most tourists’ visits. Others want to improve their foreign language skills or even their resumes. Some want to delve into a specific topic related to their majors, and a particular location will afford them learning opportunities they can’t get anywhere else. Finding the best cultural fit for you and your passions is also part of the study abroad process, extending your educational experience and preparing you for work and life after graduation.
Read The Study Abroad Decision by BestColleges.com to learn where students are traveling, what you need to consider before making the decision to go abroad, the costs involved and more! This truly is a great resource.
Benefits of Studying Abroad
- Increase your understanding of other cultures and diversity in the world.
- Develop a global resume.
- Experience the increasing interdependence of the U.S. and other countries.
- Sharpen interpersonal and communication skills through interacting with people from different backgrounds.
- Improve your ability to use a foreign language.
- Enhance your sense of independence and self confidence.
- Expand your career choices.
Many Different Options
- Travel for a semester, summer, year or just a few weeks.
- Go to a college or do some humanitarian work.
- Travel abroad or, maybe, somewhere else in the USA.
- Utilize one of Delta College's partners in the College Consortium for International Studies (www.ccisabroad.org), work with a different US group or university, or apply directly to the university abroad at which you'd like to study.
- And...many more possibilities.
The Global Peace Studies Program (GPS) recently traveled to Guatemala with a team of students, faculty, staff and community members for a service learning experience. Click here to meet the team and view the students' video journals.
Delta College hosted a community travel abroad trip to Kenya and Tanzania, East Africa from May 10 - 26, 2013. While there, participants traveled into the foothills of Mount Kenya at Mount Kenya National Park, embarked on a game walk at the Kigio Wildlife Conservancy, traveled to the land of the Masai warriors and the spectacular Masai Mara, visited Amboseli park which has a significant elephant population and sits against a breathtaking backdrop of Mount Kilimanjaro and enjoyed several other adventures. Below is a group photo taken at the equator in Kenya.
The S. Preston and Dr. Betty B. Jones International Scholarship Endowment or the Lola Bishop Whitney Scholarship for Foreign Language Study/International Travel can help you make studying abroad a reality. The scholarships are offered through the Delta College Foundation, and funded through the generosity of community supporters. They are intended for a broad range of activities leading to better knowledge of foreign languages and of their people, their countries, and their cultures.
Scholarship Application(s) for travel in 2015:
S. Preston and Dr. Betty B. Jones International Scholarship Endowment
Lola Bishop Whitney Scholarship for Foreign Language Study / International Travel
For more information contact
The International / Intercultural Education Office