Be a green Pioneer!
As a student at Delta, you can help reduce our campus carbon footprint by participating in sustainability efforts around campus. Delta has a campus-wide approach to sustainability and we want you to be a part of it. You have the power to make an impact here on campus and in your community by committing to be green. At Delta we call that the Power of a Single Action!
Sustainability on campus
Power of a Single Action Campaign
At Delta, our students have the power to help us shift the needle when it comes to reducing our carbon footprint. By choosing to take single sustainable actions, you can be a part of energy reducing efforts that make a big impact on the environment. Some single actions you can take include:
- Use a water refill station: Bring your reusable water bottle and refill it at any of the water refill stations on main campus and our downtown centers.
- Always unplug: Unplug your phone or computer once they are fully charged to help eliminate "Vampire Power", a hidden energy suck. Leaving your device plugged in when fully charged still draws energy from the outlet and contributes to higher electricity usage and costs.
- Use the recycle pods: Silver recycle pods are located throughout campus that allow sorting of waste. Recycling options available are mixed paper, refundable cans and plastic bottles and non-refundable cans and plastics. These items are diverted from the landfill and recylced or used as part of our student clubs and organizations fundraising.
- Say no to single-use plastics: Single-use plastics are convenience items that we use quickly for one time that can accelerate the rate of which trash is accumulated in lanfills. These items include plastic water bottles, straws, bags and cutlery. Using a refillable water bottle, bringing your book bag to the bookstore, and bringing your own reusable straw or cutlery the straw are just a few ways to reduce single-use plastic waste.
Sustainability at home and in your community
- Buy local: Buying locally grown/manufactured products supports the local economy and reduces the gas needed to get your goods to you.
- Turn off the lights: Just like on campus, turning off lights and unplugging your devices can help you cut down on energy costs at home.
- Get some exercise: Going for ice cream? Walk or ride your bike - your body will thank you for it!
Take the pledge!
Each year, more than one million students enter the workforce. Delta College invites you to become an involved participant by considering the environmental, social and economic impact of your daily decisions, and make every effort to reduce your ecological footprint. Your future career represents more than a paycheck, it's your choice to make a difference in the way we live, work and play sustainably!
Whether it's your first semester at Delta or you've made it to gradution, take the Campus Sustainability Pledge as a committment to yourself and the planet to use your Power of a Single Action!
The collection of returnable beverage containers in public areas offers an opportunity
for student clubs and organizations to raise funds and/or donate to charitable organizations.
Submit your request to the Sustainability Office and start fundraising today!
See the guidelines and submit your request