Academic Awards & Contests
Delta College students routinely enter local, regional and national competitions to showcase their excellent achievement within a particular area of study. These academic awards and contests are facilitated by the faculty within those fields.
Donald Halog Emerging Writer Award
Given to a Delta student who meets the following criteria
- A demonstrated and strong ability to grow as a writer.
- A way of "standing out" to his or her instructor in a positive way. Examples: Has this student shown great determination? Overcome serious obstacles while pursuing academic excellence? Shown, again and again, that he or she belongs in a community of learners?
- Recent enrollment in a developmental writing class as part of his or her time at Delta College (within an academic year).
- While students may be nominated by any current or past instructor, the writing sample must be from a WRT 090 or WRT 098 course.
- A copy of the assignment and/or rubric for which the sample was written must also be submitted so the judges can have a better context for understanding the writing.
- Faculty must write a brief (under 350 words) endorsement for each student they nominate.
Land Student Writing Competition
The LAND Writing Competition is open to any student enrolled in a credit class at a public Michigan two-year college during the calendar year. Faculty may make judicious suggestions to students for revision of entries.
Maximum Length Requirements
- Creative Non-fiction (max. 2000 words)
- Poetry (max. 50 lines)
- Fiction (max. 2000 words)
Delta College Awards (in each category)
- 1st Prize: $75
- 2nd Prize: $45
- Honorable Mention
1st and 2nd Prize entries in each category will be sent to compete in the state-wide competition.
League for Innovation Student Creative Writing Contest
Maximum Length Requirements
- Essay -- Must not exceed 2,500 words
- Fiction -- Must not exceed 3,500 words
- One Act Play -- Must not exceed 3,500 words, including stage direction and/or production notes
- Poetry -- Must not exceed 67 lines
Local Competition (Awarded in each category)
- 1st Prize: $100 (and sent to the national competition)
- 2nd Prize: $50
- Honorable Mention - Certificate of Recognition
National Competition (Awarded in each category)
- 1st Prize: $500
- 2nd Prize: $200
- 3rd Prize: $100
Skip Renker Creative Writing Award
- Enrolled in at least one academic course during the Fall 2021 and/or Winter 2022 semester.
- Have at least a 3.0 overall grade point average.
- May apply any academic year in which they are enrolled, but may only win the award once.
- Entrants will submit a portfolio of writing. Some of this writing must have been created for one or more Delta College writing courses.
The portfolio may include any (or a combination of):
- Creative Nonfiction (Personal Essay)
- Short Fiction Story
- One-Act Play