- Department of Public Safety 9111
- If Public Safety cannot be reached 911
When a hostile person/s is actively causing death or serious bodily injury or the threat of imminent death or serious bodily injury to person/s within a building, it is recommended that the following procedure be implemented.
While the guide refers primarily to academic areas, these procedures are also relevant to all areas of the College and the College property.
- Faculty should immediately lock the students and themselves in the classroom. If possible cover any windows or openings that have a direct line of sight into the hallway.
- If communication is available, immediately call 9111. (Delta College Emergency Line) (Classroom telephones connect to the Public Safety Department by pushing the “Police” button.)
- Do not sound the fire alarm. A fire alarm would signal the occupants to evacuate the building and thus place them in potential harm as they attempt to exit.
- Lock the windows and close blinds or curtains.
- Stay away from the windows.
- Turn off lights and all audio equipment.
- Try to remain as calm as possible.
- Keep everyone together.
- Keep classrooms secure until Public Safety or other law enforcement personnel arrive and give you directions.
- If you are not in a classroom, try to get to a classroom or an office, and close and lock the doors.
- Stay out of open areas and be as quiet as possible.
- If for some reason you are caught in an open area such as a hallway or lounge, etc., you must make a decision about what you should do. This is a very crucial time and it can possibly mean life or death.
- You can try to hide, but make sure it is a well-hidden space or you may be found as the intruder moves through the building or area looking for victims.
- If you think you can safely make it out of the building or area by running, then do so. If you decide to run, do not run in a straight line. Attempt to keep objects such as desks, cabinets, fixtures, etc., between you and the hostile person/s. Once outside, do not run in a straight line. Use trees, vehicles and other objects to block you from the intruder’s view. When away from the immediate area of danger, summon help any way you can and warn others.
- If the person/s are causing death or serious physical injury to others and you are unable to run or hide, you may choose to play dead if other victims are around you.
- Your last option if you are caught in an open area in a building may be to fight back. This is dangerous, but depending on your situation, this could be your last option.
- If you are caught by the intruder and are not going to fight back, obey all commands and don’t look the intruder/s in the eyes.
- Once the Public Safety or other law enforcement personnel arrive, obey all commands. This may involve your being handcuffed, or keeping your hands in the air. This is done for safety reasons and once the police evaluate circumstances, they will give you further directions.