Skip Renker Creative Writing Award
For more than 35 years, Fred "Skip" Renker was a well-published poet and essayist and a distinguished Delta College teacher of creative writing. His students frequently won recognition in local, state, and national writing contests. In December 2004, the Skip Renker Creative Writing Award was established by the Delta College Foundation to recognize a top Delta College student writer. Entries must be submitted by March 14, 2014.
To be eligible for this award, a student must be currently enrolled in at least one academic course at Delta College and have at least a 3.0 overall grade point average. Students may apply any academic year in which they are enrolled, but may only win this award once.
Entrants will submit a portfolio of writing. Some of this writing must have been created for one or more Delta College writing courses. The portfolio may include any (or a combination of):
- Short Fiction
- Creative Non-Fiction (Personal Essay)
- Total no more than 25 pages on 8.5 x 11-inch white paper. These 25 pages can consist of any combination of short fiction, poetry or creative non-fiction.
- Be submitted in a folder.
- Be word-processed. Short stories and essays must be double-spaced. Poetry may be single or double-spaced.
- Include the author’s Delta College student number on the upper right corner of each page. DO NOT INCLUDE AUTHOR’S NAME ON THE PAGES OF THE ENTRY. It will be disqualified if the author’s name appears anywhere in the entry.
- Be accompanied by a completed Skip Renker Creative Writing Award Entry Form/Portfolio Cover Sheet. (This downloadable, printed form as your portfolio cover page.)
This year’s judges will include Professor Emeritus Skip Renker.
The winning student will receive a cash prize and a commemorative plaque at the April meeting of the English Division.
Deliver or Send Entry to:
Sue Deford, Secretary
1961 Delta Road
University Center, MI 48710
Entries must be submitted by March 15, 2013