On-Campus Student Employment
Please review your budget to ensure you have adequate funding available for student employment prior to submitting a posting request to the Human Resources Office.
To post a student position for the semester, please submit an email requesting a student position posting and attach a copy of the student job description to the Human Resources Office firstname.lastname@example.org for review and approval.
Please carefully review the information below which includes an outline of the required steps in the student hiring process.
- Current minimum wage is $10.10 per hour.
- There is a 20 hour maximum limit per week a student employee can work. Students are allowed to have more than one position, as long as they do not exceed 20 hours.
- For students to gain or continue student employment for the semester they must be registered in a minimum of six credits (see the Minimum Enrollment Requirements chart below).
- The student applicant should check their Financial Aid Award Letter for a Work Study award and provide you with a copy.
- If the Work Study award does not appear on the Financial Aid Award Letter, the student should contact Financial Aid directly.
- Calculate the number of hours a student can work based on the Work Study Award Conversion Chart.
A continuing student employee is a student who is currently working, not terminated from payroll and registered for the semester in a minimum of six credit hours.
- Students may continue working and there is no additional paperwork or requirements needed.
- If the student is receiving Work Study, have them print a copy of their Work Study Award letter for you or attach to their appliation.
The following guidelines apply to the employment of all students.
|Semester/session||Work-study||Non work-study||International student|
|Fall or Winter||Six academic credit hours||Six academic credit hours||Twelve academic credit hours|
|Spring/Summer||Six academic credit hours||Six academic credit hours||Twelve academic credit hours|
- Each department must have a budget allocation for student employment before hiring students. The department/division head or hiring manager is responsible for student employment budgets.
- To post a student position for the upcoming semester please submit your job description along with number of requesting positions to the Human Resources Office email@example.com for approval.
- Review applicant pool and select student candidates for interview.
- Select Finalist
- Inform student that in order to be considered as a finalist they need to go to Human Resources to receive and complete a background check and new hire payroll packet.
- Complete a Student Hiring form Student Hiring Form and either send with student to HR or email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Once you have received notification from Human Resources via email that the student is set to begin work, offer employment to student and finalize schedule.
- Notify Human Resources to close job posting.
- Notify students that were interviewed that the position has been filled. Refer students to the Student Employment webpage to view other available postings.
- Once the job description has been reviewed and approved by the Manager of Recruitment, HR will post the position on the Student Employment webpage. There students can submit their application materials to jobs of interest and hiring managers can review postings and applicants.
- Conducts background checks.
- When the completed new hire packet is received, HR will email the hiring manager to notify them that their student is ready to begin employment. Student cannot begin to work until paperwork is completed and supervisor receives email from Human Resources with start date listed.
- Find the student job that feels right for your academic and career goals. Once you click the link, you will be able to review the job description and submit your online application. Review job postings on the Student Employment webpage.
- Submit application materials to the position of interest; hiring manager will contact the student if they are selected for interview.
- Go to Human Resources to:
- Complete background check authorization form; final selection for hire is contingent upon completion of background.
- Receive new hire payroll packet.
- Return completed payroll packet to Human Resources along with required I9 documentation.