On-Campus Student Employment
The President's Cabinet has approved the hiring of student employees for the Fall 2021 semester on a limited basis and Executive Staff member approval will be required. The hiring of work study students is encouraged but will not be required. Please review your budget to ensure you have adequate funding available for student employment prior to submitting a posting request to the Human Resources Office.
All students must comply with the COVID-19 safety guidelines in place for employees on campus. Social distancing will be required, be sure that your work area can safely accommodate additional staff. When drafting the student job description please consider work and process changes that have been implemented due to COVID-19 over the past year and update the duties accordingly.
To post a student position for the Fall 2021 semester, (after receiving Executive approval) please submit an email requesting a student position posting and attach a copy of the student job description to the Human Resources Office firstname.lastname@example.org for review and approval. To expedite the process please include confirmation of your Executive staff approval to hire a student with the posting request.
Please carefully review the information below which includes an outline of the required steps in the student hiring process.
- Current minimum wage is $9.87 per hour.
- There is a 20 hour maximum limit per week a student employee can work.
- For students to gain or continue student employment for the Fall semester they must be registered in a minimum of six credits (see the Minimum Enrollment Requirements chart below).
- The student applicant should check their Financial Aid Award Letter for a Work Study award and provide you with a copy.
- If the Work Study award does not appear on the Financial Aid Award Letter, the student should contact Financial Aid directly.
- Calculate the number of hours a student can work based on the Work Study Award Conversion Chart.
A continuing student employee is a student who is currently working, not terminated from payroll and registered for the Fall semester in a minimum of six credit hours.
- Students may continue working and there is no additional paperwork or requirements needed.
- If the student is receiving Work Study, have them print a copy of their Work Study Award letter for you.
The following guidelines apply to the employment of all students.
|Semester/session||Work-study||Non work-study||International student|
|Fall or Winter||Six academic credit hours||Six academic credit hours||Twelve academic credit hours|
- Department –To post a student position for the Fall 2021 semester, (after receiving Executive approval) please submit your job description along with number of requesting positions to the Human Resources Office email@example.com for approval. Each department must have a budget allocation for student employment before hiring students. The department/division head is responsible for student employment budgets.
- Human Resources - Once the job description has been reviewed and approved by the Manager of Recruitment, HR will send the job description/posting draft to Career Development to post in the Pioneer Job Board powered by College Central Network. Student jobs will also be posted to delta.peopleadmin.com so that students can submit their application materials to jobs of interest and hiring managers can review postings and applicants.
- Student – Complete profile and review job postings on the Pioneer Job Board powered by College Central Network.
- Student – When a job interests you, submit application materials to the provided link; the hiring manager will contact you if you are selected for interview.
- Department – Review applicant pool and select student candidates for Interview.
- Department – Select finalist
- Inform student that in order to be considered as a finalist they need to go to Human Resources to receive and complete new hire packet and background check.
- Complete a Student Hiring Form
- Notify Human Resources of finalist by scanning/emailing completed Student Hiring Form to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Student – Go to Human Resources to:
- Complete background check authorization form; final selection for hire is contingent upon completion of background/reference checks
- Receive new hire payroll packet
- Student returns completed packet new hire packet to Human Resources
- Human Resources – Conducts background/reference checks
- Human Resources – When the completed new hire packet is received and background/reference checks are completed, HR will email the hiring manager to notify them that their student is ready to begin employment. Student cannot begin to work until paperwork is completed and supervisor receives email from Human Resources.
- Department – Offers employment and finalizes start date/schedule
- Department – Notify Career Development to close job posting
- Department – Notify students that were interviewed that position has been filled. Refer students to the Pioneer Job Board to view other available postings.