- Department of Public Safety 9111
- If Public Safety cannot be reached 911
IN ALL CASES OF FIRE, THE APPROPRATE FIRE DEPARTMENT MUST BE NOTIFIED IMMEDIATELY!
- Know the location of fire extinguishers, fire exits, and alarm systems in your area and know how to use them. Training and information is available through the Department of Public Safety at ext. 9111.
- If a minor fire appears controllable Immediately contact the Department of Public Safety and they will contact the fire department. Then promptly direct the charge of the fire extinguisher toward the base of the flame.
- If an emergency exists activate the building alarm.
- When the building evacuation alarm is sounded walk to the nearest marked exit and ask others to do the same.
- Assist the handicapped in exiting the building. Remember that the elevators are reserved for the handicapped person’s use. DO NOT use elevators in case of fire. DO NOT panic.
- Once outside move to a clear area at least 500 feet away from the building/s. Keep streets, fire lanes, hydrants and walkways clear for emergency vehicles and crews.
- If requested, assist emergency crews as necessary.
- A Campus Emergency Command Post may be set up near the emergency site. Keep clear of the command post unless you have official business.
- DO NOT return to an evacuated building unless told to do so by a College official.
NOTES: If you become trapped in a building during a fire and a window is available, place an article of clothing (shirt, coat, etc.) outside the window as a marker for rescue crews. If there is no window stay near the floor where the air will be less toxic. Shout at regular intervals to alert emergency crews of your location. DO NOT panic!
UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES ARE MEMBERS OF THE COLLEGE COMMUNITY TO EVACUATE OR SEEK SHELTER IN THE COURTYARD AREA DURING EITHER A FIRE OR WEATHER RELATED EMERGENCY.