Facing a significant shortage of diesel technicians, businesses in the Great Lakes Bay Region turned to Delta College for help. We are now accepting applications for the 10-week Diesel Technician Fast Start™ program.
This program trains you for an entry-level diesel tech job performing preventative maintenance on heavy-duty diesel vehicles like semi-trucks and buses. Individuals who successfully complete the Diesel Technician Fast Start™ job training program will receive a Certificate of Completion from Delta College Corporate Services. You will also earn 4 hours of academic credit toward Delta's Heavy-duty Diesel Service Technology associate degree.
There is growing demand in the field of heavy duty diesel. Within the next 10 years, it is expected to increase by 14% and has grown over 2% in the last 2 years.
In this field, it is estimated you could earn $39,900 a year.
Visit Career Coach for more details.
- Diesel Engine Specialist
- Locomotive Engineer
- Transportation Vehicle Specialist
- Rail Yard Worker
Hands-on training and technology are important. That's why we have the best diesel training equipment possible. You will be able to use this equipment to discover the systems of a diesel.
All Fast Start™ job training programs are run in collaboration with Great Lakes Bay Michigan Works! and area employers. It's designed to get you in the workforce quickly – it's a 10 week, 12 hours per week program. Classes are held in the evenings and weekends for your convenience.
The program is 50% in the classroom and 50% in Delta's Main Campus hands-on lab.
The objective of the training program is to have the student understand the following topics:
- Checking engine and all systems for operation
- Inspect, check and service all systems for leaks, damage, operations
- Systems include: engine, fuel system, air induction & exhaust system, cooling & lubrication system, instruments, controls, and hardware, heating, air and ventilation, air brakes and hydraulic brakes, drive train, suspension & steering systems, tires and wheels
- Utilize diagnostic equipment and document repair needs
- Perform DOT inspection list
- Ability to work in a team environment, demonstrate ability to come to work on time and complete maintenance duties as assigned
- Ability to maintain clean driving record
This program is ideal for individuals who like to work on cars, enjoy fixing things
and desire to work in a hands-on industry. The diesel technician position requires
you to stand and lift, hold a valid drivers license and use computer skills when performing
vehicle diagnostic scans. You must have a commitment to safety and teamwork.
You'll need to submit:
- Diesel Fast Start Application
- Résumé detailing work history -- Preferred qualifications include 2 years work experience; 1 year mechanical parts assembly and troubleshooting; OR 2 years military experience
- WorkKeys® test results -- proof is required with application. Delta College Testing Center and MIWorks! offer WorkKeys® testing services.
Minimum requirements for consideration of Fast Start™ program:
- Minimum Score of 4 on Reading for Information and Locating Information
- Minimum Score of 3 on Applied Math
Financial support may be available to those who qualify through Great Lakes Bay Michigan Works!
Facts & Figures
Job growth is expected to grow 12 percent over the next 10 years, faster than the average for all occupations.
Due to a significant shortage of diesel technicians, Delta created two new programs - a job training program and an academic degree program.
Delta College offers over 150 degree, certificate and training options. Continue exploring and advancing your education with these related programs: