Wind Turbine SchematicsWTT 230
Prerequisite: WTT 120W with a grade of "C" or better. Identifies National and European schematic symbols, analyzes operating characteristics, and explains the operation of interrelated wind turbine systems. Covers applied schematics as well as the overall operation of a wind turbine. (15-0)
Outcomes and Objectives
Identify National and European schematic symbols, analyze operating characteristics, and explain the operation of interrelated wind turbine systems.
- Explain generation systems used by large wind turbines to convert rotational force to electrical energy.
- Analyze a typical operating curve for a commercial wind turbine.
- Discuss trends in the size of commercial wind turbine designs.
Identify and explain wind turbine systems.
- Classify large wind turbines by generating capacity, generating method, and size.
- Explain how the speed of large wind turbines is controlled.
- Discuss yaw control systems in wind turbines.
- Discuss wind protection methods typically employed by commercial wind turbines.
- Explain the purpose of the controller in a wind turbine.
Demonstrate an understanding of the application of schematics as well as the overall operation of a wind turbine.
- Define terms used in large wind turbine design.
- Assess a turbine's generating capacity based on swept rotor area.
- Identify parts of wind turbines.