Advanced Shielded Metal Arc WeldingWELD 224W
Prerequisite: WELD 114 with a C (2.0) average. Discusses Shielded Metal Arc Welding (SMAW) safety, nominal pipe size and thickness standards, and welding joints. Includes laboratory exercises in groove welds on pipe in fixed positions. (60-60)
Outcomes and Objectives
Understand the theory of Shielded Metal Arc Welding (SMAW).
- Realize the significance of this welding process in manufacturing and industry.
- Identify the primary considerations in the use of this welding process.
- Discuss relationships with other welding processes.
Demonstrate appropriate safety practices and procedures.
- Realize the value of the use of safety equipment.
- Identify proper protective equipment.
- Apply safety procedures in all laboratory activities.
Demonstrate appropriate equipment operation.
- Realize the importance of proper equipment set-up.
- Apply proper procedures when setting up equipment.
Develop, read, and follow a welding specification/procedure document.
- Realize the importance of following the procedure.
- Define and explain appropriate welding terms.
- Apply the procedure when making a specific weld.
Demonstrate proper techniques to complete a 2G-5G weld on carbon steel 2" schedule #80 pipe.
- Realize the value of proper body positioning, visual factors, material prep and positioning.
- Apply tack welds, root passes, and cover passes in accordance with AWS D1.1 standards.