Weld Qualification-PlateWELD 220
Prerequisites: Prerequisites: WELD 114 and WELD 235 with a "C" (2.
0) in each class or better. Teaches welding safety, welding terms and definitions, welding electronics, and AWS welder performance testing procedures. Includes qualification tests in the 3G and 4G positions as laboratory exercises. (15-45)
Outcomes and Objectives
Understand the American Welding Society criteria for the structural welding code.
- Realize the significance of this welding code in manufacturing and industry.
- Identify the primary considerations in the use of this welding code.
- Discuss relationships with other welding codes.
Demonstrate appropriate safety practices and procedures.
- Realize the value of the use of safety equipment.
- Identify proper protective equipment.
- Apply safety procedurres in all laboratory activities.
Demonstrate appropriate equipment operation.
- Realize the importance of proper equipment set-up.
- Apply proper procedures when setting up equipment.
Develop, read, and follow a welding specification/procedure document.
- Realize the importance of following the procedure.
- Define and explain appropriate welding terms.
- Apply the procedure when making a specific weld.
Demonstrate proper techniques to complete a 3G and 4G weld on carbon steel plate.
- Realize the value of proper body positioning, visual factors, material prep and positioning, and tacking.
- Apply tack welds, root passes, filler passes, and cover passes in accordance with AWS D1.1 standards.